Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lydia the Brave

So, let me lay the scene for you...

Monday morning we are in full swing of "getting back to normal". Mommy was trying to clean up some of this MESS of a house (which will forever be dirty I am sure... at least for the next few years...) and we are all playing and occasionally stealin' Easter goodies and enjoying our morning together. Benjamin finally goes to sleep so I take Thing 1 and Thing 2 downstairs for some fun and learning. I put on Lydia's brand new Elmo movie for her to watch so that Josiah and I could do some preschool activities. Well, the beautiful inquisitive mind that she is, Lydia doesn't want to sit and watch Elmo, she wants to get to work! So, as Josiah and I are sitting at the little wooden table on the chairs and Lydia sees Josiah's little folding beach chair nearby. (You know... the CHILD sized beach chair. the one made for... CHILDREN of her size?) Yes, well... silly little girl that she is, she SAT in it. Heavens no! A child in a child's chair!? I know you're all thinking, "How Dangerous!"

YEAH... I would think that sounds silly too. Except, apparently, they are. She just happened to topple over on her right side and...

she broke her collarbone.

Yup, you heard me. She broke her collarbone. Apparently that's all it takes.
So "longer story short" after I realized something was really wrong, we ended up at the pediatrician's office, who sent us for x-rays, then we headed home and then we ended up going back for more x-rays. All THOSE x-rays were still not quite giving them the view they needed and so the pediatrician asked us to go to the ER. SO... Grandma drove while Daddy held Lydia and they went to the ER to get her checked out due to all the pain she was in. They decided (without taking more scans) that she broke her clavicle in the middle right by her neck, but they were concerned she may have also hurt her shoulder...

After seeing the orthopedic doctor today it looks like everything is ok with her shoulder, she just didn't (and still doesn't, sometimes) want to move her upper right arm due to pain. Right now all we can do is wait, and let it heal, and keep her on her pain medicines. Thank God they did give her something stronger at the ER(tylenol with codeine) because she is definitely in a lot of pain.

She was already doing much better today, finally got up and started walking around and playing, acting as if nothing was wrong. My brave little girl. Unfortunately, it looks like she inherited her mother's accident prone gene!

Please pray for Lydia's speedy recovery and that she does not re-injure herself in the next few weeks while it is healing. That is what will be very difficult... I'm going to have to be her shadow, and keep her from wrestling and playing rough and running with her best friend- AKA- big brother. Pray that I can keep up with them all and keep her safe!

Until next time...

No comments: