So... for any of you who have been wondering, I've been eating gluten free (mostly! don't count a bite here or there...ahh the temptation) for about 2 weeks I think? When was that last post? haha. Anyway, here's the scoop.
I tried to give it atleast a week before I started assessing how I was feeling. I think I've come to the following conclusions.
First-- It's not the reason for my stomach pain. The stomach issues started after my surgery, and as much as the doctor's say "ahh you don't need your gallbladder! Let's just cut it out!" it's simply false. God PUT IN THERE for a reason, or else He wouldn't have given it to us. Sure you can live without it, but I'm about 100% certain it'd be better if it just worked properly and you could keep it in there. So obviously, my body has been adjusting to the idea of not having a gallbladder, and it's making me have to adjust my diet because anything that is "hard to digest" on a regular basis is making my stomach hurt. I have to be careful about how much dairy I consume (I am no longer drinking straight up milk, eating yogurt or ice cream) and that made more of an impact than anything in regards to the stomach pain. I didn't notice any difference with the GF diet in my stomach pain. It's still been minor lately, coming and going and I'm not sure what causes it still.
Secondly-- I've noticed a dramatic increase in energy, an ability to sleep better and longer without waking up throughout the night, and therefore somewhat less painful joints and muscles. Okay maybe that's three things? :o) The point being, it HAS made a difference in those regards. Mostly in my energy level. Before, I always felt like I needed to take breaks throughout the day... do the dishes, ok, need to sit down for a while... that sorta thing. But now, I can just go pretty much throughout my day, getting a lot more done, doing more with the kids, and not suffering from it. I AM still having the usual pain- don't get me wrong- it hasn't completely cured or taken away my fibromyalgia... but it does seem to be having an effect on the level of pain, or the duration of it. For example, if I walk to much, I usually pay for it later in the day and have a lot of pain in my legs, or knees, or shins, whatever decides to flare up. Then usually that flare up can last for an extra day... or three. Now, I might have some pain, but in comparison it is minor, and typically goes away quicker.
What's interesting about noting such an increase in energy, is that this is the only way celiac disease presented itself in my father. He tried to give blood and was really anemic. (He was always "tired" and rested/slept a lot) Mom made him go to the doctor I think (isn't that always how it is?? haha) and they eventually found his anemia was due to the celiac disease. Now, I've had a stomach biopsy and it was negative for celiac. However, Dad also wasn't diagnosed until later in life... maybe I am pre-determined to have it and it may have presented itself later in life? After more damage was done to my body through gluten? I'm not sure, who really knows.
But, the point is, since I've noticed a difference and it seems to be helping, I'm planning to stay off gluten (for the most part) for now. I guess maybe I have a gluten intolerance... or it's just harder for my body to digest, maybe even more so now that I am missing part of my digestive system. Unlike someone with celiac disease however, if I have a little here and there or in something (or something that was processed in the same facility as something with gluten) I'm pretty sure it won't affect me much. A couple times I had a bite of something I was making the kids for dinner, and didn't notice any difference.
So, wish me luck on this new adventure. If there's any hints, tips, advice, or suggestions any of you have, especially for eating gluten free without spending a fortune in extra groceries just for me, I'd greatly appreciate them!
Monday, May 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment