Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going Gluten Free

So I decided, after many promptings from others (and probably also from the Holy Spirit) that I'm going to try going gluten free for awhile to see if I notice any change in my physical health. Right now I am doing "fine" or "ok" as I'd answer if anyone asks, and that is true. But of course there is always the typical things that I deal with like sore muscles, cramps, and painful joints. For me those things are normal, so I assume it's the fibromyalgia and keep on trucking.

Honestly, I'm not to optimistic about this whole journey, for several reasons.
1- I have fibromyalgia. Well, I've been diagnosed with that. Going GF (gluten free) might help manage some symptoms or help my digestive system now that I've lost my gallbladder, but I'm doubtful it's going to help my FM symptoms. I have been eating gluten my whole life and I only started having my FM symptoms after my car accident when I was 17 yrs old. So I'm guessing it's more related to that.
2- I'm a terrible cook and have no idea where to begin. I usually throw together meals that are quick and easy. For the most part. Going gluten free quite possibly might mean I just don't eat!

However, what have I got to lose? Of course if this is something that might help my health (and a simple way really, just a change of diet) then why wouldn't I try? So ... here goes. I chose today for several reasons- 1, there's no better time than the present. 2- Michael was leaving for a work trip and I just figured that if I forgot when I started this diet I could remember "oh yeah it was the day he left..." haha. Yeah silly but hey it helps me remember!

Speaking of remembering... so I planned on starting the GF diet today, then I woke up this morning and what did I do? Sat down and ate some Raisin Bran cereal. *gasp! I know, I know... it's like, made of wheat. HAHA. I just totally forgot and was sleepy and did one of my usual breakfasts. Then we went off to a playdate, and when the kids sat down from playing outside to have snack and drink, I ate some of their crackers. Then I got home and went to make them lunch- pulled out the bread and thought- OH MAN! BREAD! the GF diet! I forgot!! sigh.

So, first I did this:
Yep, that's my hand. If I didn't make a note about it somewhere obvious, I was pretty sure I'd just skip the whole idea ;o)

Then,  I made the kids some sandwiches and peaches for lunch.
Then looked around my kitchen for some GF food for myself to eat. Guess what I found?











Nada.

That's right, nothing much!



So sad. Turns out we eat a lot of gluten around here... little did I realize ;o) So for lunch I ended up eating the other half of a banana that Ben didn't finish at breakfast, as well as some corn tortilla chips and salsa. Not the healthiest of lunches... but hey, like I said, I'm TRYING to go gluten free here. Let's just say I better get to the store so I can survive the next couple weeks! Considering I've been trying to go somewhat dairy free (well, decrease my dairy intake) because I KNOW I have trouble digesting that, and now I'm trying to go gluten free, my options are going to be limited. I'll try to keep you posted on how things are going. Wish me luck!

sigh. I'm so glad this chocolate I'm eating right now doesn't contain gluten.... ;o)

1 comment:

Beckie said...

Good luck with the GF dieting. I know I would have a very hard time doing it. I'm a bread fanatic.